[EM] a majority rule definition based on the Smith set

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Mon Apr 4 17:02:29 PDT 2005

We're mixing terms and contexts again.

One can define majority to include all eligible voters, in which case it is
entirely possible that no alternative achieves a majority because fewer than
50 % of elegible voters participate in the election. No matter what method
is used to pick the selection of a majority of participants, it cannot be
said that the winner has been a elected by a majority.

Let's move on.