[EM] a majority rule definition based on the Smith set

Daniel Bishop dbishop at neo.tamu.edu
Mon Apr 4 15:27:50 PDT 2005

Kevin Venzke wrote:

>Hi James,
>
> --- James Green-Armytage <jarmyta at antioch-college.edu> a écrit :
>

>>	Another accepted use is "more than half of the voters who express a
>>preference between two options/candidates". That's the definition I
>>choose. I realize that you don't agree with it, but at least my reasoning
>>is made clear to you. One benefit of this kind of definition is that it
>>assures that a batch of spoiled ballots cannot rob a defeat of "majority"
>>status.
>>http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Neutrality_of_Spoiled_Ballots
>>

>Do you mean "spoiled" in the sense meant in that article? Because I don't
>think there is a danger that many voters will vote everyone equal, and even
>if they do, I don't think it is a big deal if this breaks some majorities.

It's actually pretty common for voters to cast blank ballots, especially
if there are many elections on the same day.  The recent elections here
at TAMU (http://vote.tamu.edu/resources/2005A/results.htm) are an
example of this.  So were the 2004 U.S. elections: There were quite a
few voters who voted for President but cast a blank ballot in their
House race.