[EM] Sincere methods

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 07:57:52 PDT 2005

Hello James,

On Apr 3, 2005, at 01:35, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> Juho Laatu <juho at bluebottle.com> writes:
>> If someone is interested, I would be happy to see examples e.g. on how
>> the "SVM: MinMax (margins), PVM: MinMax (margins)" case (this one
>> should be an easy target) can be fooled in large public elections
>> (with
>> no more exact information than some opinion polls on how voters are
>> going to vote).
>
> I think that my 3/14 post provides such an example, and furthermore
> makes
> it clear that such examples will be easy to find in general.
> http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
> 2005-March/015125.html
>
> my best,
> James

I'll write a short story explaining why I see the case of large public
elections different from the case of individual strategic manipulation
examples.

The example you used (in the 3/15 post) was:

	Ex. 1: Sincere preferences:
46: A>B>C
44: B>A>C
5: C>A>B
5: C>B>A
	Ex. 1: Pairwise comparisons:
A>B 51-49
A>C 90-10
B>C 90-10

And the B voters then voted strategically 44: B>C>A and as a result B
won the election.

My arguments are based on probabilities and the public nature and large
scale of the election.

Let's say that these elections are some presidential elections in USA
after a Condorcet based method has been taken into use. Candidate A
could be from the republican party. Candidate B would obviously be from
the democratic party. Candidate C is obviously not some centric
compromise candidate since A and B voters seem to hate him. Let's say
that he is a professional wrestler. The numbers obviously represent
percentages of the total number of voters. The numbers are based on
some opinion poll that has been performed some time before the
election.

The democratic party is thus planning to vote strategically. I'll give
some estimates to involved probabilities.
- probability of democrats giving a secret recommendation to all its
supporters to vote B>C>A => low
- probability of democrats giving a public recommendation to all its
supporters to vote B>C>A => low
- in both cases: probability of comparable number of republicans and
others applying some strategy => high
   (one can thus not trust that the outcome will be as planned)
- probability of sufficient number of democrats voting as they were
told => low
   (B will not win if more than 3 out of the 44 will not implement the
ordered strategy (3 means a tie => 2 or less to win))
- probability of considerable portion of democrats voting sincerely
even though they were told to vote strategically => high
- probability of many voters not understanding the strategy
recommendation right or at all => high
- probability somewhat different voting behaviour than anticipated
based on the opinion polls => high
- probability of some democrats not voting at all or voting republicans
because they didn't play dirty strategy tricks before the election but
emphasized the need to vote sincerely => high
- probability of C getting elected after everybody applying various
strategies => low but increases considerably if democrats can make
people vote as told
- probability of democrats getting their candidate elected by
convincing few republicans to vote B => much higher than with strategic
voting
- probability of democrats getting their candidate elected by
convincing few C supporters to vote B => much higher than with
strategic voting
- probability of democrats getting their candidate elected by
convincing few C supporters to vote C>B>A instead of C>A>B => much
higher than with strategic voting
   (1 for a tie, 2 for a win)

Maybe there are also other reasons. Maybe some that give support to
strategic voting(??). And maybe the probability estimates could be more
accurate. But based on this story the probability of deciding to
implement the strategy in general, and the probability of a successful
outcome of this strategic voting case is in my opinion not very high.

What do you think the probability of a) democrats recommending their
voters to use this strategy in these elections and b) probability of
success of the strategy if implemented is?

My message is that although there exist strategic voting patterns that
lead to unwanted results, one has to estimate also how serious those
theoretical risks are in real life (in this case in large public
elections).

If strategies are as difficult to implement and results as hard to
achieve as in this story, maybe one could get good results by using
some sincere voting method and telling voters that the voting method is
well planned and made sincere to take their sincere votes into account
in the best possible way. If one would in addition tell that using
strategies most likely harms the voters' intentions rather than
supports them and best voting scientists would confirm this, maybe
people would be first of all happy with the new method and secondly
also vote sincerely.

Best Regards,
Juho