[EM] Sincere methods

Juho Laatu juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 07:56:54 PDT 2005

Hello Kevin,

On Apr 2, 2005, at 21:23, Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Why do you feel that WV methods aren't sensible when voters are
> sincere?

I don't think sincere votes would be problematic to WV methods. If I
have understood the history of WV methods correctly, they have been
introduced primarily in order to fight against certain strategic
threats. They were thus not introduced as sincere methods (sincere
method = method that provides the intended results with (e.g. ranking
style) sincere votes (i.e. without any strategy considerations)).
Methods that have been modified in order to defend against strategies
are thus usually not a sincere methods.

But although I see WV methods to be developed in order to defend
against strategies, I think they are close to being sincere (if someone
wants to claim so). Counting the number of voters that have
successfully voted for certain candidate over another is a quite
natural measure. Some features like the fact that 51-49 is seen as a
strong victory (51 winning votes) although the 49-51 defeat is so close
(only two voters need to change their mind), and the fact that 51-0 and
51-49 are seen as wins of same strength don't look very natural to me.
Here margins can be claimed to be more natural.

The claim that WV methods would maybe not be sincere methods thus means
that to my knowledge nobody as so far claimed them to be _THE_ method
that provides the ideal result in a strategy free environment.

> Personally I don't see why it is intuitive to measure defeat strength
> as
> the absolute difference between vote totals.

You mean margins. I don't want to say they are the only measure but at
least there are natural explanations to the margins. In some earlier
mails I wanted to point out that margins can be seen both as accurately
representing the ability to defend against changing candidate X to some
other candidate Y, and as the number of votes that would be needed to
make candidate X a Condorcet winner. There are thus at least some
naturalness in margins. I think those criteria can be said to describe
one sincere voting method. I proposed the name "Least Additional Votes"
for minmax (margins) to point out that the technically oriented name
could be replaced with something that shows that margins are natural
and not just one random technical algorithm.

> Why do you say "sincere" criteria? Are you excluding some criteria?

Yes, most notably term "sincere criteria" excludes all criteria whose
target is to fight against strategies. Sincere criteria aim at electing
the best candidate and nothing more.

> This is why my favorite MinMax method is (Pairwise Opposition): The X
> vote can create an obstacle for Y, but doesn't remove any of X's
> obstacles.
> When there are only 3 candidates, I feel this method is "perfect"
> except
> for its rate of indecision.

You included strategical concerns in your justifying text. In the terms
I used this must man that Pairwise Opposition is your favourite
_practical_method_. I didn't hear you saying that you would consider it
also to be a _sincere_method_. Maybe your favourite sincere method
would not be Pairwise Opposition but some other (not very different)
method.

> SVM: Schulze (wv), PVM: MinMax (pairwise opposition) and CDTT methods

Schulze (wv) is to me a good PVM but I haven't considered it to be a
SVM (since I believe many of its features are related to fighting
against strategies, not to electing the ideal winner (with sincere
votes)).

> I don't understand why, when you want to assume that voters are
> sincere,
> you still seem to insist on Condorcet, but not on Smith. I don't see
> the
> difference. To me, Condorcet is a half-hearted Smith.

I'm not convinced of Smith being an absolute requirement because I
think that if the looped wins/losses within the Smith set are stronger
than the wins/losses towards the best candidate outside the Smith set,
I can easily sympathize with electing the best candidate outside the
Smith set. Smith set is thus a good criterion in 99.9% or the cases but
in some extreme cases its value can be questioned. This is linked to my
interest to present minmax (margins) as one reasonable sincere method.
Minmax (margins) respects Condorcet but not always Smith.

Condorcet is a half-hearted Smith as you say. But one could also say
that Smith is a too full-hearted Condorcet. My theory on why Smith
looks better than it actually is, is that it tries to make the votes
linear too strongly. If the "god" that elects the best winner would be
one individual, then we could expect him to give a linear order to the
candidates. And in this case it looks natural that candidates outside
the Smith set must be lower than candidates in the Smith set. And it
looks natural that after this decision all that there is left is to
break the loops in the Smith set and make also their order linear. But
as we know, group opinions may contain natural cycles and one can not
say that they are wrong and should be corrected. For this reason I find
methods that try to e.g. evaluate each candidate separately more
natural than ones that try to force the group preferences into some
linearly ordered preferences.

> I think the scale of the election is not nearly as important as how
> straight-forward and risk-free an attempted strategy is.

I think the scale and publicity of elections has an impact on how
straight-forward and risk-free some strategy is. Large scale makes it
more difficult to estimate the votes. in small elections of say 5
voters it may be possible to know or guess correctly the opinion of
each voter's opinion (or opinion of each party who can then give
guidance to its members on how to vote together in a synchronized
manner). Publicity means that everyone is voting, and it is hard to
e.g. give commands to them on how they should vote (at least more
difficult than to party members). Publicity is also a risk to
strategies in the sense that people might hate parties that propose
strategies or voters that want to work against our strategy would
notice it and could apply the same strategy or some counter strategy.
Some strategies may also be too complex for normal voters.

>> If someone is interested, I would be happy to see examples e.g. on how
>> the "SVM: MinMax (margins), PVM: MinMax (margins)" case (this one
>> should be an easy target) can be fooled in large public elections
>> (with
>> no more exact information than some opinion polls on how voters are
>> going to vote).
>
> Hmm, I thought James already did this with the "game of chicken"
> scenario.

I'll respond to him in a separate mail.

>> P.S. One more comment. I have criticized also the interest to force
>> the
>> group opinions into linear opinions
> I don't really understand this. When a method picks a unique winner,
> the
> group opinions have already been made linear to some extent.
>
> And MinMax uses numeric scores. That's very linear.

It is based on linear arithmetic and the end result gives a numeric
value to all candidates, which means that candidates can be ordered
based on this value. But there is no tendency to maintain the
"direction of preferences". Maybe I can best exemplify this by noting
that minmax can elect the Condorcet loser, which is quite counter
intuitive if one thinks that the results of a voting method should look
like the linear preferences of some individual voter. (I also explained
earlier in this mail why Smith set and linearization are related
concepts.)

> It seems to me that it doesn't matter whether the election method can
> determine which votes are sincere and which are strategic. If the goal
> is to reduce vulnerability to strategy, it's sufficient for the
> strategy
> to not work.

Yes.

> For example, let's say I criticize Condorcet methods for being
> vulnerable
> to burial strategy. I can fix this by adding an anti-strategy device,
> that
> the winner will be determined solely by the number of first
> preferences.
> Now, it doesn't matter whether the method can determine who is trying
> use burial strategy: Burial strategy doesn't work.

Yes.

I think selecting an election method means balancing between methods
that try to elect the best candidate and methods that are immune to
strategies. If one has a favourite SVM but picks some other PVM for use
because risk of strategic voting is considered high, then one has
picked a voting method that doesn't always pick the candidate that is
considered to be the best (since SVM =/= PVM in this case). People who
thing e.g. that Condorcet and Smith are enough for sincerity have more
freedom to pick any voting method that fulfils these two criteria, but
people who have a complete favourite SVM have to give something up when
they pick some other voting method for practical use.

(Note that reason why I fear that sometimes strategy defence examples
could be misused is that one can claim that some method gives correct
result despite of certain strategic votes, but in this case the same
votes could be as well a result of sincere opinions, in which case they
should of course not be corrected.)

In addition one typically wants to give the voter possibility to
express her opinion as completely as possible. Ratings are expressive
but very vulnerable to some trivial strategies, rankings are quite
expressive and quite strategy resistant, first preferences are less
expressive but immune to many strategies (but vulnerable to some like
need to vote a compromise candidate instead of ones favourite). Balance
has to be sought here too. Condorcet / ranking based methods are one
nice local optimum I think (also Approval can be defended using quite
similar reasoning).

Best Regards,
Juho