[EM] Advocacy of Kemeny's method

mrouse1 at mrouse.com mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Fri Sep 24 14:32:53 PDT 2004

Sorry it's taken so long to respond -- that'll teach me to download mail
at a remote location. :)

Steve Eppley wrote:

> Kemeny finds the "best" social ordering by finding
> the ordering that maximizes the sum of sizes of majorities that agree
> with it.  That makes it vulnerable to clone manipulation.  MAM is
> equivalent
> to analogous method that finds the "best" social ordering by using the
> maxlexmax comparitor rather than the sum comparitor, so it's
> independent of clones.
>
> Here's an example to consider, involving Kemeny's
> vulnerability to clone alternatives. (I hope I have the example
> straight.  I whipped it up fairly fast.)
>
>   9 voters, 3 alternatives:
>      4: A>B>C
>      3: B>C>A
>      2: C>A>B
>
>   There are 3 majorities:
>      6 voters rank A over B.
>      7 voters rank B over C.
>      5 voters rank C over A.
>
> Nearly every method elects A here, yes?  Kemeny and MAM pick A>B>C as
> the social ordering.  Kemeny picks A>B>C because it agrees with 13
> (the majority of 6 who voted "A>B" + the majority of 7 who voted
> "B>C").  Note that the social ordering B>C>A agrees with only 12 (the
> 7 "B>C" majority + the 5 "C>A" majority).
>
> (There's another definition of Kemeny that finds the social ordering
> that maximizes the sum of pairwise preferences that agree with it,
> rather than the sum of sizes of majorities that agree with it, but its
> principle is nearly equivalent, and a similar example illustrates its
> problem with clones.)
>
> Now add in one or more clones of C.  Each clone added in adds another
> majority of size 5 to the Kemeny-best social ordering that ranks C
> over A than to the Kemeny-best social ordering that ranks A over C.
> Thus, adding a clone of C, say C', causes either B>C>C'>A or B>C'>C>A
> to become the Kemeny-best social ordering, changing the outcome from A
> to B.  On informational grounds this is illogical, since no
> information about A or B is gained when voters also rank alternatives
> that are nearly identical to C.  Worse, it creates incentives to
> manipulate the outcome by strategic nomination, and it could even lead
> to routine farces where each faction nominates as many (clone)
> alternatives as they can find that will pairwise-beat the
> alternative(s) that will pairwise-beat their favorite(s).

This is a problem with Kemeny ordering -- and it's definitely illogical
-- but I don't think it's *that* serious. (heh, if that doesn't get a
response, nothing will). If candidate B were to use it to manipulate the
election, he would not only have to support a competitor (C) but a clone
of a competitor, both of which are preferred to A. If B's support were
slightly less or C/C' slightly more the cycle would break and B would
lose outright -- and if C's policies and platform were preferable to A
to begin with, why wouldn't competitor B take them as his own if he is
that Machiavellian?

Of course if the clones C and C' were to join the race on their own,
they could influence the outcome in favor of B, though generally it
wouldn't be to their benefit so there would be little incentive to run
separate campaigns (though perhaps there might be an argument on who
would be the top of the ticket).

On the other hand, according to Michel Truchon (referring to Young and
Levenglick, which you mentioned in a previous email) --
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cache/papers/cs/11707/http:zSzzSzwww.ecn.ulaval.cazSzw3zSzrecherchezSzcahierszSz1998zSz9814.pdf/truchon98figure.pdf
-- Kemeny satisfies a weaker version he calls local independence of
irrelevant alternatives (LIIA) *and* satisfies reinforcement (where two
distinct groups have the same order, this is the same as the consensus
ranking for both groups together). According to Truchon, Kemeny is the
only rule that satisfies them both.

I'm not sure if this is true (not having the math required to prove it
either way), but it would certainly be an illogical result to have two
groups with the same preference order adding up to a different
preference order. I'm not sure if it would be possible to use it for
political manipulation -- some weird form of gerrymandering, perhaps --
but it's certainly a logical conundrum. And of course, according to
Arrow there is no such thing as a perfect system, we just have to pick
which flaws we can live with. :) (BTW, I saw your mention of the
reinforcement issue, I just think it would be more difficult to
influence an election by adding clone candidates of a competitor than it
would be for politicians to redraw districts. My personal preference
would be to have the voters choose the electoral map they want at the
same time they vote for the candidate they want, that would keep
politicians on their toes)

In addition, I like the fact that the Kemeny order is a good method for
reducing spam in search-engine results -- trying to push a website up
the rankings is somewhat analogous to strategic voting. (MAM is probably
pretty good, plus it's easier to compute, but local Kemenization is
computationally cheap as well).

BTW, I think I lost the email (or it's on my other computer) but did you
say that MAM satisfies the extended Condorcet criteria? If so, the
difference (in results, at least) between Kemeny and MAM must be very
small, and the major benefit would be the ease of calculation (not an
insignificant factor). It would be kind of fun to test both systems with
real-world examples -- not just voting, but spam prevention, character
recognition, and the like.

Mike
mrouse1 at mrouse.com