[EM] Advocacy of Kemeny's method

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Tue Sep 14 18:08:37 PDT 2004

Steven Barney <barnes99 at uwosh.edu> writes:
>Does this group, or anyone here, advocate Kemeny's method?

	Haha, I like the idea of this group taking a unified stand on anything at
all... I've never heard of it happening. Maybe we all agree that there
exists some voting method that is superior to plurality, but that's about
as far as it goes.
	As to Kemeny, I don't see the point of using it when you are only
interested in a single winner. It seems more geared towards creating a
full ordering of the candidates, and I suspect that the extra attention it
pays to this will complicate (and distort) its uses for single-winner
purposes. That is my intuition.
	As to ordinal, one-round voting methods, I prefer beatpath, ranked pairs,
and perhaps the Heitzig "river" method. If those constraints are not
operative, then I have other proposals, which I will not assail you with
at this time.

my best,
James