[EM] Re: IRV-P. Another name for Condorcet?

Rob Brown rob at karmatics.com
Fri Sep 17 10:35:29 PDT 2004

I like IRV-P.  I also would like IRV-C, for Condorcet.  With the latter,
the "named after a person" part is played down, but still making a reference
to the old name can reduce some confusion, since it has been called Condorcet
for so long.

To most of the world, Condorcet methods are the same thing as IRV.  You rank
the candidates, and it eliminates many of the bad effects of plain old
plurality.  In my opinion (and I'm sure many would disagree) the differences
between regular IRV and Condorcet are relatively subtle (compared to the
difference between plurality and IRV, for instance). From a voter perspective,
the two techniques are effectively the same (that is, all the changes are on
the back end, and the voters don't really need to know about them if they
aren't voting geeks).

Calling it IRV-P or IRV-C does this:  many people have heard of IRV, and by
presenting Condorcet as a refinement of IRV, rather than an entirely new
method, it can tap into the marketing put behind IRV.  I also think the
phrase "instant runoff" communicates something to the average person about
what it does, that "Condorcet" does not.