Why care about Schwartz? (was Re: [EM] Re: are ranked pairs and river Schwartz-consistent?)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 16 07:11:50 PDT 2004

Hi,
Chris B wrote:
-snip-
> Does any problem arise with RP, River etc. if a line
> is simply added at the front "Eliminate non-members
> of the Schwartz set"?

One could also postpone that rule, making it the
first tie-breaker, depending on the voting method.

Why should we care about ensuring the winner be
in the Schwartz set?  Isn't that just one of many
unimportant "aesthetic consistency" criteria?
Why complicate a good method, making it more
difficult for the public to understand?

--Steve