[EM] are ranked pairs and river Schwartz-consistent?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 16 02:43:37 PDT 2004

Dear James Green-Armytage,

1. I suggest that a Schulze ranking should be used instead
   of a purely randomly generated TBRC, so that it is
   guaranteed that all Schwartz winners are ranked above
   all other candidates.

2. I suggest that all N*(N-1) pairwise comparisons should be
   ranked and not only the =< N*(N-1)/2 pairwise defeats.

3. I suggest that a pairwise comparison that is in accordance
   with this Schulze ranking is "stronger" than a pairwise
   comparisons that is in contradiction with this Schulze
   ranking and that is of otherwise equal strength:
   http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-May/012984.html

In your example, these suggestions guarantee that A>R is
"stronger" than R>A so that Tideman's ranked pairs method
chooses candidate A. The same is true for Heitzig's river
method.

Markus Schulze