[EM] Re: Meek and Newland-Britton

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Sun Sep 12 04:20:37 PDT 2004

Chris Benham wrote:

> CB: I haven't yet made up my mind what the best ranked-ballot PR method
> is yet, but if the ballots are symetrically completed,
> and then those ballots that ranked A first are all  fractioanlly
> devalued by an amount that sums to a Droop quota (180/3 = 60),
> then the winners are A and C.

Symmetric completion ( that if you symmetrically completed the ballots you
would elect the Meek winning set not the Newland-Britton winning) came up as a
strong argument in favour of Meek in the discussion I was having.

Thanks for the example from Woodall showing how symmetric completion can
potentially give a different result to reducing the quota.

David Gamble