[EM] Re: Utilities?

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 9 08:04:26 PDT 2004

Hi,

Stephane R a écrit :
> First I am a man: Stephane is the french equivalent
> to Steve. Second, I never meant that "the diagram
> on the right is equivalent to the diagram on the left."
>
> I say that your left diagram is not equivalent
> to Jobst's left diagram.

First, I apologize again for my spelling error.

Second, I agree that my left diagram is not
equivalent to Jobst's left diagram.  I did not
(and do not) believe Jobst's pair of diagrams
is appropriate for comparing undecidedness with
indifference, because his right diagram replaces
some of his left diagram's undecidedness with
strict preferences. (A?D in his left becomes
A>D in his right, etc.)  So I offered my own
pair of diagrams, in which the left diagram has
the same strict preferences as the right has.

--Steve