[EM] Re: Ranked choice ballots

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu Sep 2 12:09:04 PDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 21:08:43 +0000 (UTC) Rob Brown wrote:

> Dave Ketchum <davek <at> clarityconnect.com> writes:
>
>>I propose a ballot looking just like plurality would use to let voters
>>mark an "X" for one candidate.  Here voters could rank as many of the
>>candidates as they chose:
>>      Either 0-9 or A-Z would be permitted, but not a mixture unless you
>>can sort out 01 vs OI.  0 and A are first choice.
>>      Gaps permitted - simply sort in order.
>>      Duplicates permitted - indicate same rank.
>>

> How do they mark them -- with a pen, making numbers and letters?  Isn't that
> subject to ambiguity if they make their letters/numbers imperfect?  (hanging
> chads all over again?)
>
> I have a hard time seeing how ranking can be done well without a touch screen
> or other computer-type interface.

Agreed, and I was thinking of touch screen.

HOWEVER, even though I LIKE such, the system has to be workable for paper
ballots, for absentees and other special cases.

This leads me back to the 3-column format I referenced before - perhaps
extended as Adam wrote.  Here I repeat the claim that there is little
value in going beyond 3-columns, and suggesting gaps and duplicates should
be permitted as I write above.

> -rob

                  If you want peace, work for justice.