[EM] Re: Ranked choice ballots

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Wed Sep 1 16:16:50 PDT 2004

Adam Tarr wrote in:
<begin quote>
Rob Brown wrote:

>I have a hard time seeing how ranking can be done well without a touch
screen
>or other computer-type interface.

How about simple graded ballots, as Forest has suggested in the past?  Each
candidate has A, B, C, D, F listed next to their name.  You mark the grade
of your choice.  Blank candidates are implicitly given an "E" rating
(between D and F).  If six rankings is considered insufficient, then add
plusses and minuses.  A+ through D- along with E and F gives 14 distinct
rankings.  I think anything more expressive than that is unnecessary, save
perhaps for very rare cases in multi-winner elections.  Just six rankings
would be enough for the vast majority of single winner elections.

I think it can be done reliably with a simple optical scanned ballots and
#2 pencils.  I like the touch screen ballot too, but I don't think we have
to wait for that for ranked ballots to work.

-Adam
<end quote>

I LIKE this approach. Everyone who votes knows the difference between A and
F, and the ballots would preserve the distinction between A>F and A>B that
is lost in the translation to a pairwise matrix for Condorcet-counting.