[EM] Re: Election-methods Digest, Vol 3, Issue 25

Alex Small alex_small2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 09:26:12 PDT 2004

On FPTP/plurality nomenclature:

I always thought that FPTP would actually be a better description of IRV than for plurality.  You have a post or goal (votes from 50%+1 voters).  You have a method for assigning votes round after round (successive elimination and transfer).  The first to reach that goal wins.

Of course, I think Instant Runoff Voting is an even better description than FPTP, so I wouldn't want to discard the label "IRV", I'm just saying that FPTP always struck me as ill-suited for describing plurality.