[EM] Re: "Implied ranked choice" method

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 1 06:40:07 PDT 2004

Again,

not only multi-member districts can produce proportional results.
It can be done with single-member districts using nominative ballots if one treats
the information in a proper way to obtain a fully proportional representation
(SPPA is only one example).

In fact several multi-member methods are only semi-proportional representation.
But it is better than FPTP and I would take it any time!!! (Go STV go...)

When combining a preferential ballot and proportional representation, one should
start to ask himself if the result wanted should be proportional to the first choices
or to the rallied (transferred) choices... Life is usually not black and white.

Steph.