[EM] Re: Condorcet baseball rankings

Paul Kislanko kislanko at airmail.net
Fri Oct 29 16:50:16 PDT 2004

OK, connect "moneyball" to voting systems....

> Otherwise, you can ignore simply ignore this thread if you
> think it too
> frivolous ;-).
>
> If you're willing to engage in a less serious but
> constructive discussion,
> then help me out here: I don't think that total games won is
> the optimal
> criterion for the best team in a division.  What would be a
> better measure?
> And why doesn't MLB use it?

I guess you don't think "total votes in favor of" means anything, either. If
as you suggested, MLB has "nearly" a round-robin schedule (it's not even
close, but that was your assertion not mine) and you say total wins in a RR
schedule is not optimal, we must necessarily conclude that you believe a
Condorcet winner is not optimal.

I don't disagree, but I'd like to see your argument that a CW is not
optimal.