[EM] Australian voting process

Forest W Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Fri Oct 8 13:16:08 PDT 2004

As I understand it, voting "above the line" for a party rather than
ranking the candidates is only a feature of the multi-winner races.

However in the single winner races, it is common for candidates to
publish "candidate cards" which are how-to-vote recommendations from
the candidates.  It seems that in these elections the vast majority of
the voters follow these recommendations.

This practice is one rationale for the various versions of Candidate
Proxy that have been proposed on this EM list.

In one variant, if a particular preference order can get the same
number of signatures behind it that is required to get a candidate on
the ballot, then that order (i.e. ranking of the candidates) can also
get on the ballot.

In the case of K candidates I suspect that it would be rare to have as
many as 2K options on the ballot, since most voters would trust the
judgement of their favorite, and only those that BOTH seriously
differed with the likely preferences of all of the candidates AND
thought that these differences were substantial enough to affect the
outcome, would go to the trouble of trying to get an alternate
preference order on the ballot.

These ballots would be standard plurality ballots, but some of the
"names" would be preference orders.  Each voter marks exactly one
"name."

If you mark a real name, then the candidate whose name you mark acts as
your proxy; her preference order is assigned to your ballot.  If you
mark a "name" of the type
                       "Kerry>Bush>Nader,"
then that order is considered to be your preference order.

Note that this particular option could not even make the ballot without
there being a substantial fraction of the voters highly concerned about
what could happen if Kerry preferred Nader over Bush (not too likely).

Once the ballots are in and the candidates decide their orders, then
the election can be completed by making use of all the preference
orders in, say, the River method.

Comments?

Forest