[EM] Australian voting process

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Oct 8 12:22:15 PDT 2004

> Any thoughts about this article or, more generally, Australia's
> voting system? An interesting difference between it and the
> IRV method that has gained wide support in the U.S. is that
> voters have the option of voting for a single party and letting
> that party allocate their preferences. This was in the L.A.
> Times.

Interesting.   I like the fact that the article played up the voter
interface (ranked-choice or preference voting) rather than focusing on
the counting method.  I suspect someone else knows the technical
details.

For PR elections, I personally think that a variant of STV which allows
a candidate/party to delegate a 'bullet vote' to someone else might be
useful.   I don't see much value for that in a Condorcet-style
single-winner election, though (but I haven't thought much about it, so
I could well be wrong).

I may link to this from my reform proposal, thanks.

-- Ernie P.