[EM] Does MAM use the Copeland method?

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 6 14:20:02 PDT 2004

Hi,
Paul K wrote:
> Steve E wrote:
>> " All we know is that they _preferred_ a defeated candidate."
>
> The candidate wasn't "defeated" by the voters, it was only
> "defeated" by the METHOD.

Candidate C was defeated by the combination of the voting
method and the ballots cast by the voters.

I take it that Paul has conceded he cannot justify
calling the C>A voters "unhappy."

> If you look at my original analysis of the "election",
> my question was why should the 33 percent of the voters
> who voted A LAST cause A to win.
>
> No one who has attacked me has addressed that.

Yes I did.  I pointed out that if those 33% of
the votes were deleted, then A would still win.

I also asked Paul to clarify what he meant. (At least,
I thought I was asking him to clarify when I wrote that
I didn't yet understand his concern.)  Paul, how did
those 33% cause A to win?

--Steve