[EM] Slashdot: An Analysis of Various Election Methods

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sun Oct 3 10:41:13 PDT 2004

Bill Clark wrote:
> There are people who legitimately prefer the features of IRV, however.
>  The folks at fairvote.org seem to fall into this category, and I
> really don't think it's a matter of ignorance, just different
> preferences.

That may be true for CVD core members, but unfortunately most of their
outreach material continues to make false or misleading claims
("eliminates the spoiler problem", "guarantees majority support").
Those who have been subject to this propaganda, and who have never heard
an argument to the contrary, are likely operating out of ignorance.  I
would include the more casual CVD members in this group.

I started out on this list in 1998 as an IRV supporter, but now see it
as a step in the wrong direction.  Back then I believed IRV had
properties I considered important (e.g. resistance to low-utility
winners in worst-case scenarios), but have long since learned that I was
mistaken.  Thus it turns out that my support was due to ignorance.

Bart Ingles