[EM] CIVS update

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Fri Nov 5 18:05:05 PST 2004

Hi Andrew,

On Nov 1, 2004, at 1:27 PM, Andrew Myers wrote:
> I thought people might be interested to know about some
> recent improvements to the Condorcet Internet Voting Service at
> http://www5.cs.cornell.edu/~andru/civs.
>
> * It now implements three different completion rules, including
>   MAM, Beatpath Winner, and a deterministic variant of MAM.

I presume this"deterministic variant " is what you call CIVS Ranked
Pairs:

http://www5.cs.cornell.edu/~andru/civs/rp.html
> The major difference between CIVS Ranked Pairs and MAM is the rule on
> when to keep a preference. A preference is kept exactly when it does
> not create any new cycles when considered in conjunction with strictly
> stronger, kept preferences. Thus, preferences of equal strength may be
> kept even though in conjunction they produce a new cycle, as long as
> individually they do not.

This sounds to me that Same-Sized Majorities with no other
differentiators will lead to cycles, and CIVS specifies no mechanism
for breaking that, and is thus incomplete.  Is that correct?

-- Ernie P.