[EM] To James re: ATLO

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun May 30 16:31:02 PDT 2004

On Sun, 30 May 2004 00:39:39 +0000 MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
>> I already said this, but it was buried in a long posting, and I wanted
>> to say it with its own subject-line.
>> If the A & B voters apply ATLO below their favorite, and rank sincerely,
>> the co-operation/defection dilemma in James' example doesn't happen.
>> Defection is foiled. In particular, when the A voters use ATLO and
>> vote sincerely,
>> the B voters, if they truncate or order-reverse against A, can't
>> accomplish anything but the election of C. They'd know that, and they
>> wouldh't try
>> it.
>> Mike Ossipoff
>

> James replied:
>
> Sorry, Mike, but I don't know what ATLO is. Please don't expect me to keep
> track of all your acronyms... there are just too many.
>
> I reply:
>
> James, I couldn't care less what you keep track of. I've defined AERLO &
> ATLO on EM in recent months. The intially posted definitions were in
> postings that had the unabbreviated names of the options as their
> subject line, so it can't be that they're difficult to find.  But  I
> repeated their definition for you recently on EM.
>
> The posting "ATLO foils defection in James' example" wasn't posted just
> for you. It was posted to the list. It doesn't matter if there's someone
> (you) who doesn't bother looking up the definition of the term used in
> the posting that you were replying to. Nor does it matter what opinions
> are held by one person (you) who's more inclined toward arrogant
> posturing than finding out about the subject that he expounds on.
>
> The world is full of jackasses, and one more or less doesn't make any
> difference.

No, we have too many and they get in the way of progress.

James posts a LOT of words, but he makes sense as to accessibility of
definitions.  I do not know how to do a search and thus find the agreed on
definition of an acronym.

Perhaps someone could accept responsibility for maintaining a dictionary;
      Someone else sort out resolution when there is disagreement as to
definitions.
      The rest of us honor a written procedure that keeps the dictionary
current with minimum effort by the above.

                  If you want peace, work for justice.