[EM] Condorcet strategy

Dr.Ernie Prabhakar drernie at radicalcentrism.org
Sun May 30 00:00:02 PDT 2004

Hi James,

On May 29, 2004, at 10:51 PM, James Green-Armytage wrote:
> 	So, what if there was a semi-coordinated effort to reverse on the
> part of
> several the B voters? (Let's say, in the 28/27/45 example above.) When
> the
> A voters learned about it, they would get mad and there would be buzz
> among them about the possibility of truncation. But then, how would
> the B
> voters be able to convince the A voters that they had changed their
> mind
> and wouldn't reverse any more? What if there was a genuine B>A>C
> portion
> of the electorate which showed up in the polls and some of the A voters
> mistrusted it and thought it was strategic... and threatened to
> truncate
> in reply? What if some supporters of C managed were able to start a
> rumor
> that the A or B voters were planning to strategically truncate when in
> fact they were not?

If I understand you correctly, I believe the proper defensive response
to threatened order-reversal under Condorcet wv is simply equal-ranking
(one of the major reasons to allow equal-ranking, in fact).  You can
find more by Googling "election-methods equal-ranking defensive
strategy."

If fact, If I might make a friendly suggestion: Google is the best way
to track down all these acronyms (I'd suggest putting it in your
browser toolbar ).   For example, Googling "ATLO election-methods"
quickly pulls up "automatic trunation line option".

Yeah, I'd love to see everyone on this list be more helpful and
considerate towards newcomers -- and old-timers, for that matter --
but, alas, election method expertise is not always correlated with
emotional sensitivity.  We just have to play the cards we're dealt.

-- Ernie P.
Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D. <DrErnie at RadicalCentrism.org>
RadicalCentrism.org is an anti-partisan think tank near Sacramento,
California, dedicated to developing and promoting the ideals of
Reality, Character, Community and Humility as expressed in our Radical
Centrist Manifesto: Ground Rules of Civil Society
<http://RadicalCentrism.org/manifesto.html>