[EM] collective budget setting proposal

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Fri May 28 18:52:01 PDT 2004

Dear Peter,

	Thank you for bringing this to my attention, as it is interesting.
However, I don't think that it is equivalent to my proposal. Nor is it
nearly-equivalent with just a few details separating them; I think that it
is fundamentally quite different. (At least, as far as I can tell... I'm
not totally sure that I'm totally sure how RSPP works.)
	The 'ballots' are quite different. In the RSPP, people pledge a portion
of the of the total contribution over a certain amount, while also
indicating a maximum pledge. In my proposal, people also indicate a
maximum pledge, but the second boundary is determined by the overall
budget of the project. I don't think that these two approaches lead to an
equivalent outcome.
	Also, RSPP is a multiple-round procedure, in that it allows multiple
rounds of bidding. My proposal only calls for one balloting.
	The problem that is being addressed is also quite different. In the RSPP,
people are dealing with their own money, and trying to minimize the amount
that they spend. There is only one project in play at a time. In my
proposal, however, people are dealing with public money, there are
multiple projects in play, and people have no reason not to spend it on
one project or another, since they can't keep any of it.
	Nevertheless, the two procedures have something in common, since they are
both basically 'public choice' procedures dealing with allocating money
for public goods. Mine takes a very different approach though, I think.
Thank you very much for your input, and feel free to point out any errors
if I have made them.

best,
James