[EM] Who are we?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu May 27 22:31:01 PDT 2004

> I was prodded to be curious about the question of "Who are the people on
> the EM list?" Are we academics? Hobbyists? Politicians?

I have a BA in Japanese from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  My French
is better than my Japanese, though.  I have also studied Chinese, Russian, and
German, but am no longer any good.  I want to study Cantonese someday.

I'm not very interested in policy, which I prefer to leave to academic folk.
I've always been interested in structure of government, though.  I've been
writing constitutions since I was 14.  I didn't know about election methods
(other than FPTP, SNTV, and open list PR) until 2002, when I encountered
pro-Condorcet sites.  I presently think Approval is "good enough," and also
like long fixed-length terms and an executive responsible to the legislature.

I'm also interested in the application of election methods to game shows like
Survivor and Big Brother.  I didn't think Survivor All-Stars was very good,
and I think it would be useful to devise rules that would be more likely to
produce good shows.

I program a bit.  Lately I have only used BASIC, TADS (a language for making
80's-style text adventures), and Unrealscript.  I've been working on a gametype
mod for Unreal Tournament 2004 recently.  TADS and Unrealscript are object-
oriented.

I voted heavily for Jasmine Trias.  In hindsight I wonder if it wouldn't have
been better to back Jennifer Hudson.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr