[EM] Efforts to improve on CR's strategy

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon May 24 00:35:30 PDT 2004

Ken,

 --- Ken Johnson <kjinnovation at earthlink.net> a écrit : >
> >This is not realistic unless you think voters are all extremists and only the
> >candidates show moderation.
>
> It's not so much a matter of them being extremists as being simpletons.

You're mistaken.  When you say Plurality picks the correct candidate in contrast
to Approval, you are assuming that the voters really are picking the most extreme
candidates as their favorites.

If the voters were just simpletons, knowing nothing more than that they are personally
conservative or liberal, then Plurality should consistently report ties, as well.  The
voters would have to randomly pick a favorite.

> Does anyone have thoughts on how this form of Normalized CR would
> perform and how it compares to other methods?

I think it's the same as cumulative voting.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr