[EM] Gervase Lam, ratings reply

Brian Olson bql at bolson.org
Sat May 22 19:01:03 PDT 2004

On May 22, 2004, at 5:00 PM, Adam H Tarr wrote:

>> Some rated systems behave differently if signed numbers are used or if
>> positive-only numbers are used.
>
> when?

Combinations of normalization and shifting can alter a vote such that
you can't reverse the process and get the original vote back again.

Shift, then normalize, and if you try to shift back the vote will be
different.

So, this is why it's important to decide whether one has a signed range
or a positive-only range. Shifting between them isn't necessarily a
lossless operation.

Also, stretching a vote, so that it's minimum rating is the acceptable
minimum AND it's maximum rating is the acceptable maximum, an operation
which involves a shift, subtly changes the vote.

Maximizing a vote, a pure multiplication so that it's minimum rating is
the acceptable minimum OR it's maximum rating is the acceptable
maximum, is perhaps a 'safer' or 'more pure' operation on the vote.

Normalizing, setting the total voting power to a standard amount is
also a multiplication only operation, and thus 'safe'.

It may yet be that "stretching" the ratings of a vote is the right
strategy, and it would be "fair" to put a stretching filter on the
input to a Cardinal Ratings variation so that each voter gets their
vote changed "for their own good" to follow an optimal strategy.

But, I'm not here talking about any specific ratings based election
method or its strategy.

My simulator has a mode where the population is split up into equal
sized chunks and each uses a different strategy to modify their votes.
I count an Election Method as good when the group that votes honestly
has the highest average happiness (over several thousand simulated
elections).

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/