[EM] Re: Bolson Reply

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 13:45:01 PDT 2004

When Mr. Olson explained about the linear transformation, to change the
extremes of a the points assignments, I objected that the numbers would no
longer be in the same proportion as the original numbers. I objected because
it had been said that they'd remain in the same proportion, or something
pretty much to that effect had been said. But that's a trivial quibble.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with transforming the points ratings in
that way, because the differences between the ratings, especially their
difference from the minimum rating, are what's really important.

Well, I should qualify that. If you're applying the transformation to the
extremes of the voter's ballot, rather than to the election's official
maximum & minimum, then you could make that voters's ballot look more
extreme than it is.

Say the offilcial limits are 0-100, and you want to change it to -1 to 1.
Say a voter gives someone  85.

In the new numbering, the -1 to 1 system, that rating of hirs should be -1 +
(.85)2 = .7

Even if .85 is the highest rating that voter gave to anyone.

Notice that the rating of 85, in the 0 to 100 system, is clearer in its
meaning than .7 in the -1 to 1 system. In the 0 to 100 system it's obvious
that that voter has rated that candidate 85% of the way from the maximum to
the minimum. That isnt obvious from the .7 in the -1 to 1 system.

Though the -1 to 1 system is a very good public proposal, because voters
would love to give negative ratings, the use of negative ratings can't
really be justified in any other way.

Not if you want to use the sincere ratings to show how voters feel about the
candidates.

If you call the middle of the range zero, and give every rating a positive
or negative sign, what does that positive or negative sign mean, other than
the fact that the candidate is rated above or below the midpoint of the
allowed range? All it does is obfuscate where, percentage-wise,the voter has
rated that candidate in the allowed range.

Mike Ossipoff