[EM] Re: Ease of Voting

bql at bolson.org bql at bolson.org
Wed May 19 17:33:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Chris Benham wrote:

> Brian Olsen (same day):
>
> >So, is it a problem to instruct a voter in the usage of a ballot?
> >"Choose One"
> >"Mark all choices you find to be acceptable."
> >
> Why should voters, in a pure rankings method,  only rank candidates that
> they consider "deserve" ranking,
> or that they "find acceptable"?  Why  this insistence on confusing
> rankings with ratings?

Perhaps I was unclear, I had several parallel lists going.
"Choose One" -- instructions for a plurality ballot
"... acceptable" -- instructions for an acceptance ballot
also with instructions for ranked or rated ballots.

I wasn't (in that post) advocating preferences of the ballots and methods,
but trying to demonstrate that they're all feasible.

Brian Olson
http://bolson.org/