[EM] Efforts to improve on CR's strategy

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue May 18 12:46:01 PDT 2004

Ken,

 --- Ken Johnson <kjinnovation at earthlink.net> a écrit : >
> Here's an example of the kind of Bad Thing that can happen with
> Approval. There are 3 candidates (A, B, C) and 10 voters. I am using
> signed CR's in the range -1 to 1 (CR>0: approve, CR<0: disapprove).
> Following are the sincere CR's:
> 9 voters: A(-1), B(0.1), C(1)
> 1 voter: A(-1), B(1), C(-0.1)
> avg CR: A(-1), B(0.19), C(0.89)
> approval: A(0), B(10), C(9)
> plurality: A(0), B(1), C(9)

So I take it you are assuming a zero-info situation.  Just about any other
situation would require that A be predicted to have some chance of winning,
which doesn't seem very realistic.

IIRC my simulations did find that as the number of candidates increased,
zero-info Approval did worse in comparison to Schulze.  With five candidates
it was a little bit better than Schulze.

I consider myself possibly a "fanatical advocate of Approval," but I don't
feel that SU performance is an important argument for it.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr