[EM] IRV's "majority winner". What if we let the people choose?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Mon May 17 18:55:01 PDT 2004

James Gilmour wrote:
>Now consider:
>49  A<C<B
>48  B<C<A
>  3  C<B<A
>IRV winner = B;  CW winner = C.
>I doubt very much whether most electors would accept C as the "winner" if
>this were an election for
>Sate Governor, much less for a directly elected President of the USA.  If
>anyone has evidence to the
>contrary I'd like very much to see it.

James,
	Have you read my essay entitled "The Value of First Choice Votes." It
addresses this supposed "problem" with Condorcet, and spells out precisely
why it isn't actually a problem. Originally a posting to the EM list, I've
revised it just a little bit, and now it exists as a web page at
http://fc.antioch.edu/~jarmyta@antioch-college.edu/voting_methods/value_of_first_choice.htm
	It seems to be as relevant now as ever.

my best,
James Green-Armytage