[EM] Instant Runoff Normalized Ratings

Ken Johnson kjinnovation at earthlink.net
Sun May 16 09:58:02 PDT 2004

>Message: 1
>From: bql at bolson.org
>Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 23:09:19 -0700 (PDT)

>I'm writing today to tell about my new favorite system:
>
>Instant Runoff Normalized Ratings
>(IRNR)
>
>Every voter casts a rating of each choice on a scale of -1.0 to 1.0 or
>some equivalent scale. Each voter's voting power is normalized, each
>rating is divided by the sum of the absolute values of the ratings so that
>each voter has a voting power of 1.0 . All of the normalized ratings are
>summed. The choice with the lowest rating sum is disqualified. On
>successive iterations votes are re-normalized without disqualified
>choices, redistributing a voter's voting power to the still-active choices
>in proportion to the original vote.

>Brian Olson
>http://bolson.org/

Brian:

I suggest the following modification of your procedure: Before
normalizing each voter's absolute rating sum to 1, apply a constant
additive shift to the ratings in order to minimize the absolute rating
sum. (This has the effect of maximizing the normalization scaling
factor, and is hence strategically advantageous to the voter.)

Rather than using this as an alternative to Instant Runoff, how about
using it as an alternative to Cardinal Rating? Just do a single-pass
normalization and pick the winner with the highest aggregate rating. As
I understand it, the main problem with CR is that it is strategically
equivalent to Approval. But I don't think this is the case when your
normalization is applied, so voters may be more inclined to vote sincerely.

Another possible variation: Normalize the sum-square ratings rather than
the absolute values. Before applying the normalization, apply an
additive shift so that the average is zero. This method is
algorithmically simpler, and I think the optimum strategy is also
simpler: If you don't think a particular candidate is electable, give
them a rating equal to the average of the other ratings. (Maybe this is
implicitly what your multi-pass method does.) Whether sum-square
normalization would make voters more or less inclined to vote sincerely
on viable candidates, I don't know.

What about write-in candidates or unrated candidates? I think a
conservative approach would be to exclude unrated candidates from the
normalization process, and just give them a rating of -1.  (Normalized
ratings are in the range -1 to 1, so the default is to "assume the worst".)

Ken Johnson