[EM] IRV's "majority winner". What if we let the people choose?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun May 16 00:07:01 PDT 2004

Curt Siffert wrote:
> I like this example a lot because I think it approaches the
> nut of what social choice should actually mean.
>
> The first case is pretty uncontroversial.  What makes the second case
> interesting is that there's this psychological impact to it.

This is the real issue.  As Curt says, "it doesn't feel good".  There is no question that "C" is the
Condorcet Winner and is 'the most representative candidate', but the real issue is "would such a
result be accepted in a real public election?"  We may wish it to be accepted, and we may even
campaign for it to be accepted, but that is something quite different from the public reaction of
the electors to that result.  I believe that if such a result were the outcome of a major public CW
election, there would be a public clamour to change the voting system.  If anyone has EVIDENCE that
I am wrong in that assessment, I should be very pleased to see it.
James Gilmour