[EM] proxy system

Curt Siffert siffert at museworld.com
Sat May 15 20:24:01 PDT 2004

James, one thing that strikes me about the idea of starting out with a
nonbinding proxy/direct system that slowly scales up is that
technically,
there's no barrier towards one just starting up.  I've actually spec'd
up
ideas for forming such an online community, where people just simply
join up and start selecting each other as proxies.  The size of the
legislative
body could have a mathematical relationship (smaller) to the size of the
overall membership, and they could choose to vote on and remark about
matters of political concern to the membership.  And issue press
releases.
They'd invite as wide a participation as possible (the point being to
INCLUDE
populations that might disagree with the early findings of the group),
scale
up, perhaps include a physical meetup component, and seek to gather up
more and more respectability over time.

Perhaps it would never end up as more than a lobbying organization, but
the point is they would be able to market themselves as nothing more
than
the views of those participating in their process - after a time they
could
argue they are representing the views of the nation better than Congress
does.

By the way, James, I feel like I have an abstract sense that there is a
flaw
in your paradox resolution scheme.  I'm not sure why, it has something
do with your solution have a time-based judgment to it, when the voter's
ranked preferences all exist at the same time.  Let me think about this
for
a second.

Ok, got it:

Who is A's proxy in an A->B->C->A loop?  You have two rule candidates.
#1: it would go to A's second choice (A').  So the "settled" version is
that
	A's proxy is A'.  This means that B and C's proxies would be A'.  The
flaw
	is that this depends on A's proxy being resolved first.  If we looked
at B
	first, then all three would have a proxy of B'.  If we looked at C
first, then
	all three would have a proxy of C'.  This is a flaw that could be
abused
	by those who count the votes.

#2: it would be to C's second choice (C').  So A's proxy would be C'.
Therefore,
B and C would also have resulting proxies of C'.  But if B is resolved
first, then
the proxy of all three would be A'.  Again, it depends on who is
resolved first,
again a flow that could be abused by those who count the votes.

I don't know much about proxy yet - do other proxy schemes already have
the
proxy-loop problem solved in a bulletproof  manner?

Thanks,
Curt