[EM] IRV's "majority winner". What if we let the people choose?

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Sat May 15 17:24:01 PDT 2004

<jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> writes:
>Now consider:
>49  A<C<B
>48  B<C<A
>  3  C<B<A
>IRV winner = B;  CW winner = C.
>I doubt very much whether most electors would accept C as the "winner" if
>this were an election for
>Sate Governor, much less for a directly elected President of the USA.  If
>anyone has evidence to the
>contrary I'd like very much to see it.
>James Gilmour

	Well, if the votes were sincere to begin with, then it is axiomatic that
C will win a runoff election against B. That is, 51 prefer C to B, and 49
prefer B to C. If I prefer B to C, and they are in a runoff election
against each other, of course I will vote for B, even if I would have
rather had A.
	I'd agree with Mike to the extent that whenever there is a sincere
Condorcet winner (wins all pairwise comparisons) who differs from the
sincere IRV winner, the Condorcet winner should always be expected to win
a runoff election against the IRV winner, because s/he necessarily has a
pairwise win against that candidate.
	However, if there is no clear Condorcet winner, I mean if there is a
cycle and a completion method needs to be used, then the completion method
winner will not necessarily have a pairwise beat against the IRV winner,
and hence will not be expected to win in a runoff. Just for example:

18: A>C>B
15: A>B>C
18: B>A>C
14: B>C>A