[EM] IRV & Spoiler Effect

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed May 12 11:30:02 PDT 2004

At 11:20 AM -0700 5/12/04, Curt Siffert wrote:
>I've slotted it in my mind by saying that Condorcet is spoiler-free (Full IIAC
>satisfying) right up through the identification of the Schwartz set.
>Is that right?

Well, what would you say is the difference between a spoiler and a clone?

At the moment, I cannot see any difference.

It would seem that for candidate A to be a spoiler for candidate B,
it would seem that A & B would need to be clones. Therefore, for a
ranked ballot method where people are voting sincerely, A & B would
be ranked close to each other. So, so long as the method is
clone-proof it would also be spoiler free. IIAC is not involved.