[EM] Eight FBCs

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Sun May 9 20:19:02 PDT 2004

MIKE OSSIPOFF said:

> I've said that ERBucklin(whole) passes Strong FBC, while Alex said that
> only  Reverse Plurality passes it. Aside from the fact that I didn't
> prove my  statetement on that, and it could be mistaken, though I doubt
> that it is,  the explanation for the contradictory statements is that
> Alex and I are  defining Strong FBC slightly differently. And defining
> ordinary FBC slightly  differently.
>
> Alex defined it in terms of incentive. He said that no one should have
> incentive to vote someone over his/her favorite. I myself often say it
> that  way, but I define it in terms of what a voter can do, given a
> configuration  of other people's votes.

Mike,

I defined strong FBC to require that no voter have an incentive to vote
another candidate EQUAL TO OR AHEAD OF his favorite.  I excluded from
consideration any system that allows equal rankings because my criterion
already makes equal rankings verboten (at least in the top spot).

ERBucklin probably does pass weak FBC (the version that allows ranking
somebody equal to your favorite) but it flunks strong FBC.

Also, I have withdrawn my proof that only method to pass strong FBC with 3
candidates is top-2 voting AKA negative voting AKA reverse plurality.
There are technical points to work out.  When I resolve those points I'll
post my resolution.

Alex