[EM] electoral college/Serious thoughts

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon May 3 06:11:02 PDT 2004

Dave Ketchum wrote:

>Looking closer, I see that your formulas work to let low-populaiion states
>keep their voting strength, while getting in relative party strength in
>vote counts.

That's right.

>Seems like this would have an uphill battle, for states doing better at
>getting voters to the polls would have each vote count less than in a
>sister state of the same population that had less actual voters.

Isn't that already true?  In that sense, it's not a change from the current
EC.  A state's EVs are not tied to its turnout, but to its census results.

>>>Adam dreams that a near tie in a popular vote national election is not
>>>worth preparing for:
>>
>>I never said that.  I said that I wouldn't shy away from a national vote
>>just because a tie MIGHT happen.
>
>Seems like we are hitting the same topic in different words.
>      I say getting a nationwide edition of what happened to FL in 2000
> needs AVOIDING.
>
>     You would not worry.

I would worry, I would prepare... I just continue to think that the
advantages of a national popular vote outweigh the potential problems.

-Adam