[EM] James G., IRV

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 13:20:02 PDT 2004

James G.--

You wrote:

Nowhere in my comments will you find any such suggestion.  Do not attribute
to me comments I have
not made.

I reply:

I'm not saying that you advocate IRV, but, if you do, and if part of your
argument for IRV over Condorcet is your claim that people won't like a
low-favoriteness CW winning, and that even the majority who prefer him to
candidate Y would rather elect Y than the CW, because the CW isn't very
favorite--if you use that as an argument for advocating IRV,then yes, that
means that you claim that the expressed wishes of that majority should be
disregarded because you believe that they would change their mind. But, as I
said, I can't say for sure whethe ror not you advocate IRV, without checking
the archives.

You continued:

What I did say is that I believe, based on my experience as a practical
reformer, that the CW result
and the voting system is likely to be rejected by politicians and the
general public alike if they
experience a 49/48/3 election.  I have no problem with the CW being "more
representative" or "better
representative" of the voters than the IRV winner in both the 35/33/32
election and in the 49/48/3
election.  But that was not was not the point I was making.  Nor am I
arguing against the use of the
Condorcet voting system.  I just genuinely believe our UK electorate (and
probably yours) would
reject the Condorcet voting system if they experienced a 49/49/3 result.

I reply:

Fine, but that's a speculation.

You continued:

I ask again for any
evidence that would show I am mistaken in my view of the likely response of
the electorate.  NB I
want real evidence, either from real public elections or from elector
attitude surveys.

I reply:

A speculation remains only a speculation even when no one has proved that it
isn't so. Obviously it would take a Condorcet election to prove that your
claim isn't so. But, when you claim that a majority who prefer the CW to Y
are going to start liking Y better than the CW because the CW isn't a big
favorite, then, with a strange claim like that, the burden of proof is on
you. Without proof, your speculation doesn't sound very likely.

But actually I do have evidence, from real public elections and from elector
attitude surveys, that voters prefer their compromise to their last choice
even though their compromise isn't very favorite. I gave that evidence in my