[EM] IRNR

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sun May 16 19:41:02 PDT 2004

Brian Olson--

You probably have written a better method than IRV.

You wrote:

Instant Runoff Normalized Ratings
(IRNR)

Every voter casts a rating of each choice on a scale of -1.0 to 1.0 or
some equivalent scale. Each voter's voting power is normalized, each
rating is divided by the sum of the absolute values of the ratings

I reply:

The sum f the absolute values of his own ratings, or of all the ratings of
him and the other voters?

The rest of the definition seems clear.

You continued:

Condorcet: yes-ish.

I believe that IRNR is more powerful than Condorcet
because it also addresses the degree of preference and not just the order.

I reply:

That's how a method loses Condorcet's strategy advantages. If how far above
Y you rank X is counted, then the only way you can fully vote X over Y is if
you vote X in 1st place and Y in last place. That gives Borda its big
strategy problems.

People would like to be able to fully vote Compromise over Worst, while
still fully voting Favorite over Compromise. That's impossible unless we
count only the fact that you vote X over Y, disregarding how far over Y
you've voted X.

That's why CR doesn't have Condorcet's strategy advantages. But CR is still
very good, because it has its own strategy advantages. Personally I like the
advantages of Condorcet best, but I'd gladly settle for CR or Approval as
the official public voting system.

"Strategy Free": maybe not. A 51% majority could rate candidate A at 0.02
and B at 0.01, 49% could vote B 1.0 and A -1.0 . B would win. Does this
violate SFC?

I reply:

A point system isn't likely to meet SFC. IRNR probably doesn't meet SFC.
Your example that you give above, with the 51% and the 49% addresses a
reason why IRNR is unlikely to meet CC or SFC.

But it isn't a complete failure example. Can an example be written in which
no one falsifies a preference, and a majority of all the voters prefer the
CW to candidate B, and vote sincerely, but B wins anyway in IRNR? If so,
then IRNR fails SFC.

I can almost guarantee that such an example can be written. And your 51% &:
49% kind of situation could likely be part of that example. The majority
sincerely rating the CW over B, by a small ratings margin, while the B
voters rate B over the CW, voting them at opposite extremes of the range.

For simplicity, let's consider an example with just 2 candidates. A majority
prefer A to B. Therefore A is the CW in that 2-candidate election. No one
falsifies a preference. And the A & B voters vote as you described, with the
majority voting A .001 points above B, and with the B voters giving B the
maximum points rating and A the minimum.

So, no one has falsified, and a majority prefer the CW to B, and vote
sincerely (because they haven't falsified a preference or failed to vote a
preference the method in use would have allowed them to vote in addition to
the preferences that they actually did vote--because, with 2 candidates,
they only have one pairwise preference, and they voted it), and  B wins.

B wins with IRNR in that 2-candidate example, doesn't it?

You continued:

Is it a just system anyway?

I reply:

Maybe. Failing SFC doesn't make a method unjust. Approval and CR fail SFC,
and they're among the best methods. But I still like SFC compliance, which
is why Condorcet wv is my favorite.

You continued:

If IRNR were modified to expand
votes out to a 1.0 to -1.0 scale before normalizing them the 51% vote
would translate to A=1.0 and B=-1.0; A would win.

I reply:

If all the negative ratings becames -1, and all the posiive ratings became
1, wouldn't that change the method to Approval? Sure, then the majority
would win in the 2-candidate example. That shows an advantage of Approval
over CR: Approval doesn't give people a chance for sincere voters to be had
by strategizers as can happen in CR.

But that doesn't mean that the modified IRNR woiuld then meet SFC. It would
no longer fail SFC in that particular example that I used before.  But with
more candidates it would. Say there are 3 candidates, and the majority
prefer B to C. Some of that majority have A as favorite. They give 1 to A
and -1 to B & C. That's sincere, because they aren't falsifying a
preference, voting a preference that they don't have. And they aren't
failing to vote a preference that the balloting system in use would allow
them to vote in addition to the preferences that they actually did vote.
That's because if they gave 1 to B, they'd no longer be voting their
preference for A over B. So they're voting sincerely when they give -1
instead of 1 to B.

The C voters, let's say, give 1 to C and -1 to B & A. Though they're a
little short of a majority, the C voters have no trouble thereby making C
get more points than B or A. Because, let's say, the B voters have given -1
to A, which is sincere for the same reasons described above.

So C wins even though a majority prefer B to C and vote sincerely. All that
remains is to make B be the CW in the example. Sincere preferences:

40: CBA
25: BCA
35: ABC

B is CW, and a majoritly prefer B to C, as SFC's premise requires. In my
example, the voting is as follows:

40: 1C, -1B, -1A
25: 1B, -1A, -1C
35: 1A, -1B, -1C

Those ballots are sincere for the reasons that I described, though all SFC
requires is that the B & A voters vote sincerely.

Point totals: