[EM] IRV's "majority winner". What if we let the people choose?

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 21:54:01 PDT 2004

The "majority winner" that IRVers so often boast of will often have another
candidtate preferred to hir by a majority. Avoidably choosing someone in
violation of voted majority wishes. A peculiar notion of a "majority
winner".

But what if we let the people choose between IRV's winner and the CW when
they differ. You know what will happen. The CW will win every time.

Once, in an Internet committee, we had to take  a vote on something, and
some proposed Condorcet, and some proposed IRV. I pointed out that we could
count the rankings by both methods, and then let the membership vote between
the winners of the 2 methods. An obvious and reasonable suggestion. But an
IRVer named Jim Lindsay objected and accused me of using Condorcet's
standard, which, he claimed, made my proposal unfairly biased in favor of
Condorcet.

So letting the public choose is Condorcet's standard? If so, then it's odd
that Jim & other IRVers can try to justify disregarding Condorcet's
standard.

Mike Ossipoff