[EM] Primaries?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Mar 31 17:50:01 PST 2004

We have about worn out this thread:
      A primary before a ranked ballot general election has its own needs,
UNLIKE those preceding a Plurality general election.
      Perhaps multiple primary winners would make sense.  If so, needs are
unlike those of a PR election.
      I like the method to be simple, considering using the same method as
in the general election qualifying as simple to learn.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:47:40 -0500 Adam Tarr wrote:

> There's really only one issue left worth discussing in this thread, so
> I'll cut the rest out:

>>> Well, there's complications, and there's unneeded complications.  The
>>> simple fact is that, while Condorcet is an excellent (I would say the
>>> best) method for choosing one winner, it is a terrible method for
>>> choosing two or more.  It is likely to produce a set of "clone"
>>> candidates, all representing the center faction of the electorate.
>>> Using some method of PR, no matter how crude, is more likely to get
>>> good results.
>>> I'll happily agree that sequential CFPRM is still really complicated,
>>> and probably more complicated then we need.  But how about single
>>> non-transferrable vote?  How about cumulative voting?  How about STV-PR?
>>> All of those are well-understood and relatively simple methods, and
>>> all would be dramatically better than using Condorcet to elect two or
>>> three people.  As I said, I think Condorcet is the very best
>>> single-winner method.  But would a Democrat who supported Howard Dean
>>> or Dennis Kucinich be happy if the two Democrats in the general
>>> election were Kerry and Edwards?  Because that would be the most
>>> likely outcome if you use Condorcet.
>>> We surely don't need perfect PR in a primary, but some degree of PR
>>> is necessary, or producing more than one winner is often almost
>>> pointless.
>>> -Adam
>>

>> AGAIN, we are NOT doing PR, and it is not clear to me that what might
>> look to you like clones have to be a bad thing.
>

> So, you think it would be acceptable, even desireable, to have three
> candidates from a party's centermost faction enter the general election,
> even when the party has a broad range of viewpoints?

Yes, especially if this faction has the best possibility of winning the
general election.

> Say (somewhat but not totally arbitrarily) that the Democratic
> candidates for president could have been ordered from least liberal to
> most liberal as follows:
>
> Lieberman<Clark<Kerry<Edwards<Gephardt<Dean<Kucinich<Brown<Sharpton
>
> Furthermore, let's assume that Kerry was the Condorcet winner, and
> furthermore let's assume that preferences by most voters follow a
> predictable pattern of moving away from their favorite.
>
> If we use successive Condorcet elections to pick three nominees, then
> the other two winners (other than Kerry) will be either Edwards and
> Gephardt, Edwards and Clark, or Clark and Lieberman.  This leaves the
> entire more liberal third of the Democratic electorate without any
> representation, and it leaves the candidate with the second-strongest
> core support (Dean) eliminated.
>
> This shouldn't bother us in a single-winner situation, but in the case
> of a multi-winner election it begs the question of why we are even
> bothering with electing more than one nominee, if all we are doing is
> getting the three most similar candidates.

Destination of this thread is a single winner general election.

> Moreover, this could constitute really poor strategy.  If the general
> electorate has different preferences than the primary electorate
> (obviously very likely) then producing a slate of candidates with
> diverse stances is more likely to produce a good result for the party,
> in general.
>
> Again, none of this argues that perfect PR is needed in a primary.  But
> completely ignoring PR issues is a mistake, too.
>
> -Adam

                  If you want peace, work for justice.