[EM] Does the 'Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives Criterion' Imply a Condorcet Winner ?

Marcos C. Ribeiro marcoscanrib at ig.com.br
Tue Mar 30 12:28:07 PST 2004

Thank you for your answer and information, Forest. It makes me feel I have company and more confident on my thoughts.  :)

To be more precise, my thought is that the IIA criterion could be worded as 'the election winner must win every other candidate in a pairwise dispute'. In other words, the IIA criterion requires a Condorcet winner. This means that IIA is a false criterion, because the absence of a Condorcet winner can not be considered a problem with any election method, it only reflects ambiguities in the electors preferences. Valid is the Cordorcet criterion, much more conscious: IF there is a Condorcet winner, a good election method must declare it the winner. This is OK.

THE CONCLUSIONS ARE:
-> If IAA is a false criterion, it doesn't make sense to verify if any method fulfils it. We must be very secure with the principles from which we start. To verify false criterions is to go in a wrong line of thought. Simple so.
-> If the Arrow's theorem depends on the IAA criterion, it is a false "theorem", no matter how famous it is. (To go ahead, I think we must ignore authority arguments and to have a discussion between equals.)

You established a difference that I judge important, the difference between 'fundamental level' and 'in terms of ballots'. It seems to me that:
-> First, all criteria shall always be formulated and evaluated in the fundamental level, in terms of the logic of democracy.
-> IF, and only IF, a criterion is considered valid at the fundamental level, it then must be translated 'in terms of ballots', what already enters in the field of its practical application and verification.
Do you agree with this ? Do you want to clarify the difference between 'fundamental level' and 'ballots level' ?

I have affinity for the Independence of Clones criterion, but I haven't evaluated it carefully yet. I think it would be better named by 'Independence of DEFEATED Clones Criterion', or 'Independence of Irrelevant Clones', and I word it as: 'the winner should remain the same with the elimination of defeated clones'. This drives us to think that a Condorcet cycle tends to happen only between clones, but I'm not sure about this. What do you think about ? I have affinity for the Independence of Clones because the presence of similar candidates should not aid nor prejudice them.

Best regards.

Marcos.