[EM] Primaries?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue Mar 30 00:47:02 PST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:49:15 -0500 Adam Tarr wrote:

> Dave Ketchum wrote:
>
>>  If a method is "good enough" to select a single winner in the general
>> election, then it must be good enough, and most logical choice, for
>> use in related primaries.
>

> It does not follow.  An general election is a method the government uses
> to try to find a candidate who best represents the voters.  A primary
> election is a method a party uses to pick its candidate for a general
> election -- NOT simply to find the candidate who best represents the
> party's voters.  These two goals can be the same, but it does not
> logically follow.

Perhaps I live in an odd state, but New York's Board of Elections DOES our
elections.

Still, considering imbalances, many primaries are either:
      Effectively final, for the primary winner WILL win the general, or
      Meaningless, for the primary winner WILL NOT win the general.

Anyway, big deal is that it is good for the voters to understand the
method used, and that is more practical if both elections use the same method.

>> While the details are a bit different in primaries, the basic issue is
>> to select the best candidate as seen by the voters.
>

> A party could end up shooting itself in the foot in the general election
> if it puts forth a candidate who can't win there, when another candidate
> can.  There's no reason (and, indeed, no legal right) to prevent a party
> from choosing an election method that reflects this.
>
>> I would make one exception.  If the general election is stuck with an
>> outdated method, and a party is willing and able to move ahead - let
>> it. This could encourage updating the general election method.
>

> As I implied above, I don't think that the government has a right to
> tell parties how to run their primaries.  They could provide very strong
> incentives (free air time, use of public polling equipment, et cetera)
> but fundamentally these are private organizations.  If a party wants to
> decide its candidate by plurality or IRV or salic primogeniture (first
> born son of the previous nominee) then they should be free to do so.

I do not see where I gave you an excuse for this paragraph.