[EM] equal rankings IRV

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Fri Mar 26 20:51:01 PST 2004

On December 1 2003, Chris Benham wrote:

>I have changed my mind, and now agree with you that the split-votes
>version
>is better. I think that it is absurd that half an even number of voters
>voting
>AB and the other half BA should have a different effect from all of them
>voting
>A=B, and also that it is unfair that a faction of voters who  support
>candidates
>A and B by all voting either AB or BA, should be in any way disadvantaged
>compared
>to a faction who support candidates C and D by all voting C=D.

Chris,
	I'm quite interested in this, but would find it easier to understand your
critique of equal rankings IRV (whole) if you could give an example or two
illustrating the point above.
	I did read your 45-20-8-27 example from your previous posting
[http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2003-October/011089.html],
which indicates favorite betrayal incentive. I found it informative, but
not entirely damning. Any other critiques you might have of ERIRV whole or
fractional would be quite welcome. I do have the sense that I'm going over
territory that has already been covered, so I'm sorry for missing it the
first time around. I do find the topic interesting though, and if folks
can get me up to speed that would be great.

James