[EM] non-binding direct democracy system

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Thu Mar 25 19:55:30 PST 2004

Hi James,

On Mar 25, 2004, at 8:46 PM, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> 	I suggest that the single-winner methods that might give us centrist
> leaders, specifically Condorcet-efficient methods, would also have the
> potential to give us centrist, compromise solutions to social problems.

Ah, thank you.   That was the key innovation that I appear to have
completely missed. Sorry about that. "Rank-ordered Referendums".  Not
bad.

Okay, I concede your point.  This is a very interesting new approach,
and I agree that a multiple-choice Condorcet based polling system would
be a very positive step towards improving the level of political
discourse.   I'm less sure about the proxy stuff, though it sounds
interesting, and I don't have strong opinions about it being
non-binding and federal.   Frankly, if any large stage adopted this,
and it was effective, I think it would reverberate nationally.

The one question that seems tricky is, how does one come up with such a
ballot?   Usually in California, it is a partisan group that collects
the signatures to put them on the ballot -- or the legislature, which
is usually as bad. The hard part, IMHO, is coming up with well-defined
centrist positions and then getting enough public support behind them
to provide a public viewing, since the traditional organizations tend
to be bi-polar.

Any bright thoughts?  You've surprised me before...

- Ernie P.