[EM] Rankings made by another method

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Mar 25 16:49:07 PST 2004

> James Gilmour said:
>
> I would suggest that analysing (counting) by a
> different method the voting patterns of votes cast for
> counting under one  method will not give a
> very useful result.

MIKE OSSIPOFF > Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 11:59 PM

> ...unless sincere voting is assumed.

This does not address the point I was making.  What is sincere (= will best achieve the desired
result = election of most preferred candidate) in one voting system MAY not be sincere or sensible
under another system because of the effect of the system itself.  Before deciding how to mark the
ballot paper, the savvy voter will have sussed the effects of the system.  The markings on the
ballot paper will still be sincere.  And it is completely invalid for analysts to impute all sorts
of additional information about that voter's wishes or desires when the voter did not provide such
information.  The markings on the ballot paper, and the interpretation of those markings, are
specific to the voting system under which those markings were made.

> And IRVists claim that
> voting will be sincere in IRV.

Maybe so.

> You can't have it both ways.

Don't make assumptions about my views (implied by use of "You") for which you have no evidence.
James Gilmour