[EM] STV can be hand counted...

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 23 12:58:02 PST 2004

James,

 --- James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> a écrit :
> > (Gary prefers closed party list because he says it reduces the
> > incentives for similar candidates to compete against each other
> > by promising pork to their constituency.  ...
>
> The difference between closed party list and STV-PR goes very much deeper than this.  It is a
> tragedy to see a professor of political science presenting such a superficial analysis.

Do candidates not offer pork, or some other local incentives, in Ireland?
I'm definitely concerned about this potential of intra-party competition, from
reading about Japanese (SNTV) and Brazilian (open-list) experiences.

I'm inclined to discourage voters from using proportionality to push local, or
very narrow interests.  Maybe this can be preserved in a candidate-centered PR
method by using large districts and low magnitude.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr