[EM] A method for those now seated (was "List Approval")

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Mar 20 20:02:01 PST 2004

Hello.

 --- Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> a écrit : >
> This method just occurred to me.  I don't think there's a major problem with it:
>
> 1. Lists of candidates are nominated.
> 2. Every voter can approve as many lists, and as many candidates within each
> list as desired.
> 3. The most-approved candidate from the most-approved list is elected.

It seems to me that if we were to change it so that each voter can vote for just
*one* list, but still approve candidates on any list, this method might be
acceptable to Republicans and Democrats (for instance) without being a terrible
method for voters.

The plurality vote for party list will keep two parties in business (and shut
out independents, unfortunately), but the approval portion should permit the
voters more choices, and an ability to moderate the outcome.

Of course I prefer the original version, where you can vote for as many lists
as you want.  I think this must be better than plain Approval, just because it
should permit more candidates to run.  (The voter can end up with less control
over whom he helps to elect, but it can work the other way, too.)

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr