[EM] approval voting and majority criterion

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Mar 18 13:27:02 PST 2004

Ken,

 --- Ken Johnson <kjinnovation at earthlink.net> a écrit : >
> So back to my original question, what is an appropriate
> definition of "the goal of single-winner voting" by which the merits of
> alternative voting systems can be evaluated?

My measurement is: If the voters were able to gather in a huge room, share
preference information, and attempt to come to a majority decision, would
they likely pick the same candidate that the method did?

Condorcet methods seem the best by this.  Approval is more vulnerable to
bad information.  The Approval/STV hybrid is notably better, I think.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr